My Blog List

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

4 FOUNDATIONS OF A BELIEVER'S


 


 Ḥātim al-Aṣamm رحمه الله, Advice: Provision, Worship, Death & Allah’s Watchfulness



سُئِلَ حَاتِمٌ الأَصَمُّ رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ: عَلَى أَيِّ شَيْءٍ بَنَيْتَ أَمْرَكَ؟


فَقَالَ عَلَى أَرْبَعِ خِصَالٍ


عَلَى أَنِّي لَا أَخْرُجُ مِنَ الدُّنْيَا حَتَّى أَسْتَكْمِلَ رِزْقِي ، وَعَلَى أَنَّ رِزْقِي لَا يَأْكُلُهُ غَيْرِي ، وَعَلَى أَنَّ أَجَلِي لَا أَدْرِي مَتَى هُوَ ، وَعَلَى أَنِّي لَا أَغِيبُ عَنِ اللَّهِ طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ


الخطيب البغدادي، تاريخ بغداد، جـ 9، صـ 149


Ḥātim al-Aṣamm رحمه الله was asked:


“Upon what have you built your life?”


He replied:


“Upon four principles:


1. I understood that no one can take away the provision Allah has destined for me, so my heart became content.


2. I understood that no one can perform my acts of worship for me, so I began to fulfil them myself.


3. I understood that Allah is always watching me, so I became ashamed to disobey Him.


4. I understood that death awaits me, so I began preparing for my meeting with Allah. 


🌿 In short: My provision is guaranteed, my lifespan is unknown, my deeds are my responsibility, and Allah is always watching me.


📚 Reference:

Al-Khaṭīb al-Baghdādī, Tārīkh Baghdād, Vol. 9, p. 149.


No comments:

Post a Comment